"Generic Hardware" / "Generic Software"
Katharina Garbe
2007-06-20 12:06:39 UTC
Hi all,

I have a question on "Generic Hardware" and "Generic Software". In my
application I want to use "Generic Hardware", so I open my device with:

Device = alcOpenDevice((ALCchar*)"DirectSound3D");

afterwards I try to obtain the strings from ALC with:

char *devices;

char *defaultDevice;

devices=(char*)alcGetString(Device, ALC_DEVICE_SPECIFIER);

defaultDevice=(char*)alcGetString(Device, ALC_DEFAULT_DEVICE_SPECIFIER);

What I do not understand is the following:

defaultDevice returns "DirectSound3D" which seems okay to me, but devices
returns only "DirectSound"!

If I state

Device = alcOpenDevice((ALCchar*)"Generic Hardware");

instead of the above "DirectSound3D", I only receive "MMSYSTEM".

Any hints how I can get DS3D working?

Your help would be much appreciated.

Greetings,

Katharina
Jason Daly
2007-06-20 15:48:44 UTC
Post by Katharina Garbe
Any hints how I can get DS3D working?
Your help would be much appreciated.
What hardware are you using? In order to support the DS3D path through
OpenAL, your hardware needs to have DS3D support. If it doesn't, OpenAL
will fall back to the DirectSound and/or MMSYSTEM paths. This is why
you see the default device as DirectSound3D, but the device you actually
open is DirectSound.

If you know your hardware supports DirectSound3D, try installing the
latest drivers. It wouldn't hurt to get the latest DirectX runtime from
Microsoft either.
--
--"J"

"I'm a castaway stranded in a desolate land,
I can see the footprints in the virtual sand."
--Neil Peart
Katharina Garbe
2007-06-20 17:31:30 UTC
Hi Jason,

I forgot to say my soundcard is an Intel 82801EB ICH5 - AC'97 Audio
Controller [A-2/A-3] which uses SoundMAX Digital Audio. I have just
installed the latest drivers and in addition Everest Home of Lavalys
(http://www.lavalys.com/) which tells me more on the Audio facilities on my
PC. So, it seems my hardware does not support DS3D nor EAX 1,2 or 3 .
I have indeed installed the DirectX SDK (April 2007) beforehand, as I have
been doing some programming with DirectX before starting with OpenAL. Funny,
I didn't realize my hardware doesn't support DS3D!

Thanks a lot though for your help!

Cheers,

Katharina

_____

--Neil Peart
Daniel PEACOCK
2007-06-20 17:47:52 UTC
Hi Katharina,

The names "DirectSound" and "DirectSound3D" are obsolete (but still
supported for backwards compatibility reasons). They've been replaced with
"Generic Software" and "Generic Hardware" respectively so everyone should
use the new names ... or even better ... use the device enumeration
extension to always request a list of available devices.

FYI ... a new OpenAL re-dist and SDK refresh will be available in early
July that improves the way device names are handled ... specifically if
"Generic Hardware" is not available (due to lack of H/W DS3D support) then
it will not show up in the list of available devices.

Dan
Creative Labs, Inc.

Notice
message by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are not the intended
recipient, any disclosure, copying or distribution of the message, or
any action taken by you in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be
unlawful. If you have received this message in error, please delete it
and contact the sender immediately. Thank you.

"Katharina Garbe"
<katharina.garbe@
fit.fraunhofer.de To
Sent by: cc

[...]